Purpose: To cut and prepare all types of seafood for sale and to provide prompt, friendly, knowledgeable customer service in a fast paced meat and seafood department.
Status: Reports to Meat and Seafood Department Supervisor and Manager.
- Assist customers in a prompt, friendly, and courteous manner. Offering suggestions and ideas of how to prepare and use the products. Be able to answer questions regarding product as well as an overall familiarity with the store.
- Performs cleaning of seafood such as scaling whole fish or removing the skins of filleted fish. As well as cutting fish into steaks and fillets as appropriate for the type of fish.
- Ability to operate and maintain scales, and follow procedures to ensure proper pricing.
- Maintain attractive, fully stocked displays and cases.
- Package bulk seafood items for retail sale.
- Construct trays of whole fish, fillets, steaks, and shellfish.
- Must have the ability to work quickly, efficiently, and safely, adhering to all requirements for safe food handling.
- Accurately label and sign items by price, description, and country of origin (COOL).
- Maintains the seafood department in all areas including removal of garbage, washing floors, cases, and dishes, and other items as directed.
- Follow city and county food safety and sanitation regulations.
- Carry out opening and closing procedures.
- Follow established guidelines for use, safety and maintenance for all department equipment including knives, saws, …
- Maintains all coolers, freezers, and storage areas in a neat, clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
- Ability to project a friendly, outgoing personality and work as a positive team member. Possesses the ability to identify finfish and shellfish by species, as well as the grade and quality of the product
- Ability to cut steaks and fillet fish.
- Familiarity with cooking techniques is desirable.
- Able to handle multiple demands in a fast paced setting.
- Able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Basic math skills required.
- Willingness to work with meat and seafood.
- Able to understand written and spoken English.
- Willingness to work in a cold and wet environment.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Willingness to work with sanitizers and cleaners.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Must be 18 years of age to operate equipment.
- Willingness to work various shifts including early mornings, evenings, and weekends.