Purpose: To provide prompt, friendly, helpful, well-informed service to customers and assist in the operations of a fast paced produce department.
Status: Reports to Produce Department Manager and Supervisor.
- Ensure all displays are fully stocked, faced, and rotated to ensure freshness, shop ability, and to give an appearance of abundance.
- Replenish and rotate product throughout the day, following established standards for handling, rotation and quality.
- Prepare product for sale such as trim, wash, and bundle produce.
- Maintain a safe, clean work area. Adhere to all city and county guidelines for food safety.
- Cull displays several times daily, recording and disposing of low-quality produce following established guidelines.
- Review signage for accurate description, price, and country of origin (COOL).
- Actively greet customers as they enter the department.
- Answer questions in a prompt and courteous manner, as well as have an overall familiarity of the store. Referring to other staff and /or departments when necessary.
- Offer tastes, samples, suggestions for purchase and ways to prepare produce.
- Help customers place special orders.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, and complaints to Produce Department Manager.
- Maintain produce cases, walk-ins, prep, and storage areas in clean, safe, and orderly condition, meeting health department standards: remove trash promptly, break down boxes, clean cases, wipe surfaces, wash sink and buckets, clean up spills, sweep retail floor as needed.
- Use and maintain equipment as intended in a safe manner. Advise Produce Department Manager of equipment in need of repair.
- Monitor cooler temperatures. Notify management of unusual temperature changes.
- Check deliveries for damage, quality and accuracy. Verify piece count
- Help with unloading and put product into storage as needed. Ensuring proper rotation.
- Conduct inventory as directed.
- Ability to project a friendly, outgoing personality and work as a positive team member.
- Outstanding customer service skills and interest in serving the public.
- General knowledge of and interest in produce preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands.
- Must have a strong work ethic and be able to work well both independently and with a team.
- Ability to work various shifts including early morning, evenings and weekends.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Must be 18 years of age to operate equipment.
- Willingness to work in varying temperature conditions including wet and cold environments.
- Able to understand written and spoken English.
- Basic math skills required.