Position: Courtesy Clerk
Purpose: To provide prompt, friendly, knowledgeable customer service, assisting cashiers by bagging groceries and preventing back-up at registers as well as being able to assist throughout the store.
Status: Reports to Front End Manager and Front End Supervisors.
Front End Duties
- Bag customer purchases in appropriate bag, efficiently and carefully so that no product is damaged.
- Assist customers throughout the store helping locate items, reaching product, checking backstock, and with carrying purchases to car, while giving priority to customers with children and seniors.
- Assist Disabled customers with their shopping needs while in store.
- Keep aisles and all entrances/exits clean and free of congestion.
- Collect and return carts and baskets to designated areas. Follow daily cart rotation schedule.
- Clean up spills, sweep and take out trash promptly as needed.
- Check on missing or inaccurate prices for cashiers.
- Follow Courtesy Clerk Guidelines provided prior to training.
- Assist customers with special orders.
- Know store policies, procedures, and products in order to provide excellent customer service.
- When check-out lines are not busy, take initiative to stock supplies, clean, do “go-backs” and face shelves, returning quickly to register as needed.
- Replenish grocery bags, clean checkstands and all areas of workstations.
- Restock perishables and all “go-backs” in a timely manner.
- Sweep around checkstands and in front of store on an hourly basis. As well as throughout the store as needed.
- Stock areas as directed by supervisor.
- Alert Management to potential shoplifters, disorderly customers or other emergencies.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures when using company equipment and overall safety. Report any equipment repair needs to supervisor.
- Ability to project friendly, outgoing personality and to work as a positive team member.
- Interest in serving the public and providing excellent customer service.
- Reliable and punctual and have a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands in a dynamic work setting.
- Able to stand for two or more hours at a time.
- Must be 18 years of age in order to operate equipment.
- Have the ability to easily lift up to 40 lbs using proper lifting techniques and be able to work with repetitive physical arm motions for most of the shift.
- Flexible scheduling including evenings and weekends.
- Able to understand written and spoken English.
- Able to work in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Employees are always expected to follow their supervisors’ instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors and store management.